Won't you take a ride on a flying spoon?

Yesterday to celebrate an important step in my writing career, I was in need of some dancing music. "Looking Out My Back Door" by Creedence Clearwater Revival came to mind.


I found this video on the wonderful Youtube. Before yesterday, I had never seen CCR, only listened to them on CD.





As I listened to the lyrics I realized they were very fitting to what I was celebrating: fiction writing. Here are the lyrics:

Just got home from Illinois, lock the front door, oh boy!
Got to sit down, take a rest on the porch.
Imagination sets in, pretty soon I'm singing:
Doo, doo, doo
Looking out my back door.

There's a giant doing cartwheels,
A statue wearing high heels.
Look at all the happy creatures dancing on the lawn.
A dinosaur Victrola listening to Buck Owens.
Doo, doo, doo
Looking out my back door.

Tambourines and elephants are playing in the band.
Won't you take a ride on the flying spoon?
Doo, doodoo
Wonderous apparition provided by magician.
Doo, doo, doo
Looking out my back door.

Tambourines and elephants are playing in the band.
Won't you take a ride on the flying spoon?
Dooin, doo doo.
Bother me tomorrow, today, I'll buy no sorrows.
Doo, doo, doo
Looking out my back door.

Forward troubles Illinois, lock the front door, oh boy!
Look at all the happy creatures dancing on the lawn.
Bother me tomorrow, today, I'll buy no sorrows.
Doo, doo, doo
Looking out my back door.  

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Some think "take a ride on a flying spoon" and the parade of animals are references to getting high. 

Personally, this reminds me of the nursery rhyme "Hey Diddle Diddle":

Hey diddle diddle,
The Cat and the fiddle,
The Cow jumped over the moon,
The little Dog laughed to see such sport,
And the Dish ran away with the Spoon


Fantasizing and day dreaming are considered wastes of time by some, but are everyday activities for an author. I remember as a child reading "Hey Diddle Diddle" and spending a long time trying to figure out exactly what it meant. But more, I imagined what happened afterwards. The Dish and Spoon going on some grand adventure down a moon-lit stream.


I believe this easy and free thought is what John Fogerty wrote the lyrics to "Looking Out My Backdoor". So curl up with a good fantasy or science fiction book (they are as trippy as they come :), sink inside it, and "take a ride on a flying spoon." 






No comments:

Post a Comment